Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Maps To Anywhere Response

    Maps To Anywhere, by Bernard Cooper was a very interesting read. It brought up a lot of views and ideas that I found fun to read and that grabbed me in as a reader, most of which I have experienced in my childhood. Being that Cooper is writing about his childhood, his stories were pretty relatable.
    When the story starts out, Cooper is explaining prank phone calls and the wonders about names. The simplicity of taking us back to the pranking days and then the complexity of the name is quite a mash up. I found that the humor really drew me into the story and then I was more interested in the wonders of the name. I, myself have pondered that wonder many times. "What if I wasn't named Derek?" "What if the people I knew had different names?" I feel like my life would be a whole lot different and I enjoyed that I wasn't the only one who thought like this. There is a lot that goes with a name; who you hang out with, who you talk to, your personality, etc.
    One of my favorite stories was "On the Air" because it talked about the futuristic thoughts we all had as a child. We all thought that there would be flying cars, holograms, all this technology that made our lives virtually pointless, except to be an object in space. While we may have been wrong about most of those things, we weren't too far off. Technology has made our lives extremely easy and, while we may not have flying cars, we do have electric cars and solar powered cars. So, we dreamed big when we used to think of futuristic architecture and life itself; however, things really do change and, maybe, one day we will have flying cars. The dreamers and imaginations of our time will be the ones that make it all possible.


1 comment: